Tithing is a word that is used in our churches today that refers to returning money to God. The word, “tithe” means ten percent.
“And all the tithe of the land, whether of the seed of the land, or of the fruit of the tree, is the Lord’s: it is holy unto the Lord. And concerning the tithe of the herd, or of the flock, even of whatsoever passeth under the rod, the tenth shall be holy unto the Lord.” (Lev. 27:30,32)
“And this stone, which I have set for a pillar, shall be God’s house: and of all that thou shalt give me I will surely give the tenth unto thee.” (Gen. 28:22)
“Thou shalt truly tithe all the increase of thy seed, that the field bringeth forth year after year.” (Deut. 14:22)
Three purposes of Tithing:
- It is a test of obedience to see if we will obey. God wants to know where our hearts are.
- God may not need your money, but the church does.
- Tithing is not a method of getting money from you; it is a method of getting money to you.
We are stewards of His possessions while on earth. We can keep ninety percent and we are to return to Him ten percent of our gross income via our church. This is not optional. Why does God ask us for money? There is a practical answer to that. God wants to use us to pay the bills, and to build up the Kingdom of God. That’s the purpose of money (see Deut. 8:18).
Many people are not consistent in their tithing. They tithe for a while, then, because they don’t see an immediate harvest, they start to withhold their tithes and become ensnared by the enemy. The devil doesn’t want you to tithe and if you decide to tithe only when you have enough left over, the devil will make sure you never have any money left over. When you withhold your tithe, you are robbing God.
I have seen people come to crusades/church and get excited about the Word. They immediately begin to plant good seeds. When they don’t see their harvest right away, they get discouraged and lazy. Before you know it, they are sowing among thorns again. Their zeal and diligence are gone and they can’t seem to understand why they are not reaping a harvest. You can’t let your field grow up in thorns and expect a harvest.
- Tithing is a commandment from God. You have no choice.
- The ninety percent left will supernaturally go further.
- If you don’t tithe, you will not be supernaturally blest, as you will be in possession of stolen property.
- Tithing is an act of worship (we are not “giving” our tithes; we are returning God’s property to Him.)
- Tithing does not bless a person per se, but it opens the door to blessing which comes from making offerings.
What have you been taught about tithing in your church?